View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #164
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonfresh View Post
Additionally, I thought as most people would already have their series sorted into shelves, that they could add some kind of series order sort in a particular shelf's menu if it can't be added into the regular library menu.

Why would Kobo be against this? e-books and standards are still in relative infancy so it seems kind of disingenious to disallow a valuable feature to be removed based on a technicality.
I used to have my series in shelves. As a former Kindle user, I had my books sorted that way there, in collections. I thought that was what you did. Collections used to slow my Kindle down when I had lots of them. I'm not sure if the same is true on a Kobo.

But a thread on here pointed out that the Kobo shows series information for books, so why did I need a shelf to tell me what series it was in?
Why was I duplicating information: creating shelves I didn't really need?
The series sorting on the older firmwares made this work brilliantly. My Kindle didn't do this! It was a great new feature: series was so important to books, the information SHOULD be shown by e readers! And Kobo had it, right there.

So now I have genre shelves. For example, I have an 'Urban Fantasy' Shelf that has books of that genre.
Sadly now due to the newer firmware changes to series sorting, things no longer work so well.

I want to show an example of the way this irritates. My Kate Daniels books all have titles that start with the word 'Magic'. Title sort is no help at all here. They all have the same author. The previous way of handling series information had this working so well. When you've got books with similar titles (and let's face it, genre books tend to keep repeating certain themes) and long series, title becomes less important.

Now it's either page through my shelves, looking for the fourth book after I've finished the third (it's here somewhere!), or go back to series = shelf. After seeing it work so well, I don't want to go back. The series information is there right on display after all.

Why did Kobo Change it? My guess is that they either wanted title to sort by JUST title. Strictly speaking, it's correct. It frustrates me hugely, as series is far more important to me, but the menu says TITLE SORT. Or they didn't realise what they had and made another change. I wish they'd given us a series sort option in either case. That would have kept everyone happy.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote