View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Just to clarify, if you have a wi-fi capable device, you will at minimum usually be able to access a store account and download content. What other web-enabled functions you may be able to do will vary from device to device.

I own a Nook Simple Touch Reader (aka Nook, NST, or N2E). Out of the box, you can only access B&N's store to download content via the wi-fi. And yes, you can root it (or so I'm told) to expand those capabilities, but I'm talking out of the box here.

So with the Nook, wi-fi but no web browsing or other internet activities.

If you're shopping for a device, it's best to research its particular capabilities and specs, as they vary.

Hope that helps.
Yes, lLet's be clear about the "get online" statement and 3G.

Just because it has 3G, that doesn't mean you can web-browse. The original Nook, for example, can only access its store via 3G. That's really the purpose.

The Kindle 3G 2nd gen and 3rd gen I know can surf to a very limited extent, but given the speed of its CPU and the screen refresh...it's barely workable to browse the web. My wife used hers to check her email from time to time before she had her smartphone, and it works...very, very slowly, and only the basic version of her webmail (since fancy java and flash websites and such aren't going to work on the Kindle).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote