View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
If available I'll experiment with the trial. No question, E Ink would be preferred. Alas, the Kindle version is not included in the digital subscription of my newspaper (NY Times), in other words, I would have to cancel my existing subscription before switching over to the Kindle.

Fortunately the NYT Android App ...
If you would be happy with Calibre's NY Times, then there's no need to buy a Kindle subscription. Your smartphone digital subscription will allow Calibre to assemble a NY Times newspaper each day.

When I had both a Kindle subscription and a digital subscription about a year ago, I compared Calibre's edition with Kindle's on a K3. They were almost identical, and the only differences I saw could be attributed to the time of assembly.

Downsides to Calibre's version vs. Kindle's:
- no 3G delivery (alternatively you could set up a server and fetch via 3G)
- your PC must run Calibre each day and be attached to the internet (you could leave it all running when away on vacation).
- your Kindle must attach to wi-fi to get the newspaper delivered.

Neutral:
- time of assembly affects content. So you could tweak Calibre's assembly to occur closer to when you read.

Advantages: free!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote