View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #58
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
As I said, the version I read didn't give ISPs the option - on receipt of three complaints they were required to cut you off, as opposed to the current system where cutting you off on receipt of a complaint is a matter of habitual practice, but not law - but ACTA is so shrouded in secrecy that it's eminently possible my information's out of date or wrong (and that's a whole other problem with it).

And I quite agree, the law isn't (or at least shouldn't be) about coulds, but about dids. My concern is that that important distinction has been being steadily eroded for the past thirty years, on a variety of pretexts of which "protection of intellectual property rights" is only the most recent.
And there are indications of the 3-complainers change in the works and certainly if they change the law such that it IS a violation if the ISP does not respond or take down, then yeah, that would be against the law....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote