View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ER View Post
BetterRed:

Thanks for the extended explanation. I'll try remember do not use the OS to delete files. If not, I'll have to tell Calibre to check the database consistency when I suspect problems.

However, I do edit the Llibre Office files in the Calibre directories, then ask for a conversion - else, I have to delete the book, and add it again from the original directory. I hope that is safe.
No that's fine

The main thing is don't change file or folder names, or delete files. But you don't have to go to the file system to edit a file either, IMO best practice is to start Writer from with Calibre.

Assuming that you do NOT have ODT set to use the Calibre Viewer (Preferences->Behaviour) then you can use Alt/V on a book and select ODT, that will start Writer providing its associated with ODT in the OS.

Or you can click on the ODT format in the Book Details panel, btw if you right click a format in Book Detail panel you have the option to save the format to disk or delete it. Or you can click on the ODT in the Edit Metadata panel. Or you can use the Open With plugin.

So, why is it best to start Writer from within Calibre?

When Writer opens a file and you make a change to it then Writer 'locks' the file until you save and close the file (at least my Windows and Mint versions do that - they are old Open Office versions from Sun).

When you change say the Title on a book in Calibre, then it will check to see if there are any locked files for the book - if there are then the change will be rejected. This is one of the mechanisms that Calibre uses to keep its database in synch with folders.

When a book's Title is changed in Calibre a new folder is created, the files are moved to it and the old folder is deleted. If Calibre didn't do the locked file check and allowed the Title change to proceed, then when Writer saved the file then the folder the file came from wouldn't be there so... what happens next depends on the OS and file system in use. From memory Windows will (re)create the folder, and Mint will throw an error...

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-15-2013 at 12:50 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote