View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Yes, you are right about Agatha Christie, but for me she was the one to invent the detective with funny personal habits that is still one of the trademarks of the genre. I am not sure if this perception is valid, there could have been earlier rolemodels as those by Agatha Christie (Poirot, Miss Marple) but hers seem to be the most influencial ones on the genre.

Or am I mistaken?
Agatha Christie herself said she was basing her Hercules Poirot character -the private detective with the quirky methods, the great deductive powers , and the loyal sidekick- on Sherlock Holmes .
What's interesting is that if you take one road from Holmes and Watson, you end up with Poirot and Hastings.
IF you take another road, you end up with Easy Rawlins and Mouse-and Spenser and Hawk!
You take still another road , you end up with the "scientific method" and the police procedural
Finally , if you start from the Sherlock Holmes of "His Last Bow" you end up with the spy thriller.
In the mystery genre, all roads lead back to 221B Baker Street!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote