View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #68
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post

1) is entering a string of numbers on a ereader a common thing? why?

2) since the 650 does not have wifi, how do you browse an online book site?

thanks
1) The Entering numbers thing came up right off the bat when we tried to set up the Kindle because the ONLY way we could get it to work with older WEP WiFi routers was to shift over to using a raw HEX style WEP KEY. The "HEX" of course refers to the fact that these keys are Hexadecimal, using the numbers 0-9 plus the letters A-F. A WEP HEX Key is 26 digits long, and it took about four attempts to get it entered correctly on the Kindle.

2) Obviously, the 650 doesn't have web access at all. So I use either my Desktop, Laptop, or Netbook, whichever is closest at hand. Even when traveling, I will usually have at least my tiny Gateway Netbook on hand. Buying commercial ebook titles, does take a minute or two longer this way, but it's worth it to me to have more flexibility, in using my ereader.

I know that others might have other priorities, but direct wireless web access is not such a big deal that I would want to give up the touch screen, and other advantages of my PRS-650, just so I can buy a book while running between gates at the airport.

From my perspective, what matters is the READING experience, not the shopping experience, and for me that's where the Sony PRS-650 stands out.

You spend many hours with the device READING, and only a few minutes at most shopping and downloading the books with USB.

I personally find that my Netbook gives me a better book shopping experience, because I like the options it provides.

Others may think otherwise, and prefer the one click simplicity of shopping through a single source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson and the reason I bought a Kindle last year.

. . . I'm not sure what happened btwn your first post and this one, but I went from agreeing with you to being embarrassed that we have the same reader. Did something bad happen to you after that post??
Sorry if you were offended.

Have you ever noticed that when something doesn't live up to someones expectations, that their opinion will be harsher than normal, because it will be colored by the gap between what they expected, and what was delivered?

Knowing this, I should have used more care in moderating my tone, but after my own really poor "out of box experience" with the Kindle, it's a little hard to be objective.

I humbly stand corrected - The book you listed does indeed seem to be currently only available on Kindle or Nook

Borders doesn't seem to have an epub electronic version yet, but they do sell the standard paper version, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sony compatible EPUB Ebook available there soon. I know that the availability in one format doesn't always follow the other, but this Mark Sissons guy doesn't impress me as someone who likes to walk away and leave cash on the table.

In the mean time, a Sony ereader Owner can -

Buy the book at Amazon, and . . .

Free KindlePC app -> unswindle -> Calibre Conversion -> Sony Compatible EPUB

or

Buy the book at Barns & Noble, and . . .

B&N Free NOOK-PC app -> IgNoble -> DRM Free Sony Compatible EPUB

Though I respect your desire to play by the rules and not dabble in the dark arts so to speak; I feel that removing the DRM to allow a book you purchased to be read on another reader that you own is perfectly ethical.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote