View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Where's the problem? It says you have to say 'SMASHWORDS EDITION' on the copyright page, right there in the style guide.
Yes, which we've put on there for the last SIX editions. I don't know what the problem is; if I did, I'd fix it. Or, rather, I would have, for the last 5. I originally put in on the copyright page, and that was rejected. Then I added the additional License Notes (which was their next request). Then we tried something else; then I nuked our original copyright page altogether (along with all the proper credits) and put the SMASHWORDS EDITION on the Title page, as previous approved .doc files had displayed. Then I added the License notes to the title page, which was their NEXT requirement. Now that's been rejected, again, for "copyright issues," even though I've taken the wording, verbatim, from their Guide. So, I don't KNOW.

@elfwreck: Of course there isn't (a way to do that in ePUB). That's their instructions on how to "clean" a Word file, for crap's sake. That was their "expert advice" on the second pass.

@gmw: Yes, of course they're the publisher, despite Mark Coker insisting that they are not. Easy way to prove it? Try to take an ePUB you've made at SW with a SW ISBN--even the "premium" ISBN--and try to pub it anywhere else. It will be rejected. Why? Because by using a SW ISBN, that makes them the Publisher of Record. Mark can try to hair-split and call himself a "distributor" or "aggregator" from now until Hell freezes over, but when buyers pay a company the monies for purchase, and they in turn pay them to the content creator, that makes the company receiving all the money from sales the PUBLISHER. Because they control the ducats. The whole point of ISBN's, despite enormous popular misconceptions, is the supply and payment chain. That's why you can't use a SW ISBN at, say, B&N if you try to publish it yourself with your own publishing entity.

SW isn't a "free" service. AFAIK, they earn 14.25% of the sales, so it's not exactly free.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote