View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
So what's the Royalties situation?

I don't get it because it seems to be such that you buy one CD and get another copy free.

Is that twice the Royalties to be received by muso's?
My understanding of UK copyright law (it may be different in the US - fair use may come into it, we don't have fair use in the UK) is that, unless they had an agreement with the music/book publishers, they'd need to pay for two copies (one CD copy, one MP3 copy), and then the music label & the artist would simply treat it as two sales and split the proceeds from those sales however their contract dictated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
And if it's not twice the Royalties, then why aren't ebooks covered by a mutli format arrangement as well?
I'd speculate that Amazon have made a deal with some music labels, hence why only some CDs are covered. If I'm right, to do the same with books they'd need to make a deal with publishers, and I suspect the big publishers wouldn't be in a hurry to make such a deal.

Last edited by avantman42; 01-11-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity and to fix a typo
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote