View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
The Kindle Previewer is broken in a number of different ways. For reasons that are unknown to me (and I've asked Kindle support and their answer was uninformative) the Kindle mode shows you the old mobi7 version of the file even though essentially all of the 800x600 eInk Kindles (including the Kindle 3) now display KF8. Amazon does not appear to be in a hurry to fix this. Their response was that you can use the Paperwhite mode to preview your file. This is suboptimal in my view because there are many differences between the Paperwhite and the other eInk KIndles.

Your process is a good one. You should probably take a look at the Kindle Publishing Guide's* section on the @media queries amzn-mobi and amzn-kf8. My preference is to create a generic EPUB 2.01 file. Then I add the Kindle specific stuff to it and send it through Kindlegen.

*Much of the information in the guide is wrong, incomplete, or misleading. The section about the @media queries is reliable.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote