View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I disagree, for two reasons. First, I'm a fan and haven't caught a whiff of such a campaign; thus, if it exists, it's ineffective. Second, if her nominations resulted from an organized campaign, it stands to reason that her constituents would nominate one strong work in a category, rather than splitting their efforts between two or even three works...and yet, the latter is what we see.
I do not think it is a campaign either. But what we seem to be seeing lately is that books by popular people that have a big following on social media gets nominated. And to me at least the nominated books are not so good and better books was not nominated.

Quote:
I've read the Newsflesh works and Parasite within recent memory, and I think the latter is a more award-worthy book. It's not necessarily a more readable book, but the subject matter and the manner of its approach shows a better mastery of the craft, if that makes sense. It's like comparing Stephen King's It and Christine; the latter tells a faster-paced, more engaging story, but the construction and detail of the former keep me coming back for endless rereads. It is just a better-crafted book.
I am just reading Parasite and that is encouraging. I think the Newsflesh books were flawed. They seemed to be written in a hurry or not enough time was spent thinking through details. People behaved stupidly even when they were supposed to be smart and that made me loose confidence in the writing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote