View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottser View Post
The "current page" bookmark syncing definitely works better with this release, when it works. However, there is still a lot of manual refreshing and thought needed to get the iOS client to cooperate and sync properly. You need to make sure to refresh your library before opening a synced book, and when you're done reading on iOS, you need to exit out of the book and seemingly wait 30 seconds or so for the spinner in the status bar to do something. This lack of feedback is one of the most frustrating aspects of the iOS app – there is no clear indication of when the bookmark has been updated. I always assumed the green checkbox bookmark that appears when closing a book is meant to indicate that the bookmark has been updated, but that doesn't seem to mesh with reality. With this new release the Kobo Touch often fails to pick up the new bookmark position – haven't tested iOS <> Desktop yet.

In short, the whole experience is still not nearly as seamless as Kobo advertises. It is an improvement though, because when it works it actually syncs the correct page!

The percent read is still wrong on iOS as well. The margin of error seems to increase the shorter the book is.

I also can't find an option to hide the Pulse. I don't need a pinball machine at the bottom of every page
Thanks for all the feedback, Cottser. The bookmark *should* be sent up every time you close/background the app or return from a book to the library, and it should be synced back whenever the library is updated or when you open the reader with a book where the bookmark was made more than 5 minutes ago. Apparently something isn't working properly -- I'm going to take all of this feedback to the rest of the team and continue work on fixing it.

As for hiding the pulse -- there actually is an option: just look under the social settings section of the main settings page (accessible via the gear icon in the top toolbar on the iPad (when not in a book) or on the jump/home page on the iPhone). With the pulse disabled you won't be able to like or comment on individual pages, but you can still pull up the underlay and book feed to view and make comments there.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote