Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I'm on OS X. I haven't used symlinks or RAM disk yet, but will try them with calibre when I get some time. My current Macbook Pro tops out at 8GB RAM. It'd be good to know how to do symlinks and RAM disks because I'd like to move to a computer with 16GB RAM soon. I'd prefer 32GB but new Macbook Pros now top out at 16GB and I don't particularly want a Mac Pro.
For me various calibre operations are fast enough, without setting up temp folders on ramdisk. But out of curiousity I researched symlinks and ramdisks. Learned how to do both, generally. Also researched using them specifically on OS X.

There is some discussion in various forums that symlinks in OS X often get corrupted/broken and cause more problems than they're worth.

I tried a script for setting up RAMdisk for temp files at startup. Tried various ramdisk sizes. There was no noticable speedup of calibre bulk conversions. The ramdisk-tempfile-startup script in these blog articles doesn't use symlinks:
Exactly which temp folders on OS X Mountain Lion could be put on ramdisk to speed up various calibre operations? Do all calibre operations that use temp files use the same temp folder(s)?

Has anyone successfully sped up calibre operations such as bulk conversions by putting relevant temp folders used by calibre onto ramdisk, specifically on OS X Mountain Lion?

At this point, I don't have enough information about the temp folders used by calibre - or enough Unix knowledge/skill - to proceed. Since calibre is already fast enough for me, I don't have much motivation to proceed either. But when I get a new computer with SSD or Flash internal drive, I'll have more motivation, to extend the life of the drive. Perhaps a Unix-smart MountainLion-savvy calibre superuser or developer may have some suggestions.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-11-2012 at 06:49 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote