View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
vinsect
vinsect began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I've tried a couple different hacks. The unit bricked after the second one.
I got another one and am using it with factory settings.
I'm using Calibre for book conversion, and third-party software to remove DRM. One of the main reasons I wanted the hack in the first place was to run kindle software. Now I just convert my books to unprotected epub format.
With most media, its legal to make copies for your own personal use, as in cases like this. New hardware doesn't support other format. I had some books in Microsoft Reader lit format I converted too.
While I was using the hacked firmware, this was my impression...
It was cool to see a lot of the available apps, however I never got a working marketplace. Tried installing several apps by other methods.
Many of these apps were designed for use with more hardware buttons or a built-in camera (like the barcode reader, which is being used heavily now)
Some hacks modify the volume up and down button to function as back and menu. Without this, you can't exit many programs without rebooting the unit.
Also, I tried a few browsers and couldn't select text to copy or cut with any of them.
Hopefully, future models will come with full Android OS, built-in cameras, and at least menu and back buttons, if not up,down, right, and left buttons too.
vinsect is offline   Reply With Quote