View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Now that the JBL and Libre are available for under $100 I've considered getting one or the other as a portable ereader. The nook is just too clunky to comfortably carry around.

So what features make the big difference between the Ectaco and Aluratek?

I saw the Libre at Borders, liked the size and weight, the no black flash between FAST pageturns. But no dictionary was a con.

My concern about the JBL is that the battery pack would make it heavy. Plus, I prefer to use rechargables which don't seem to work as well from what I've read.

I mostly read PG and Overdrive books. I've bought others from Sony, B&N, Smashwords and Kobo.

The no clock feature is what most interests me about these ereaders, btw. (Overdrive).

Thanks for any advice.
I just weighed my JBL and it's a fine hair over 9 oz. My 6" Mentor weighs 6.5 oz. Four Sanyo Eneloops (the prechargeables I use) weigh 4 oz. I'm guessing the extra weight of the AAs vs. the internal battery of the JB is only 3oz. Heck, my purse, with the JBL inside, weighs 4 lb. (and I used to carry a heavier one but I got too old)! If you can't handle the extra 4 oz. each set of four batteries weighs, get a bag to hang on your walker.

As mentioned, I use the Sanyo Eneloops in my JBL. Battery life in the JBL seems to only equal alkalines but I carry extra batteries in my purse so it's not a big deal. At least, when the batteries run down, all I have to do is pop in a fresh set and reboot. It takes only a few minutes opposed to several hours of recharging time, assuming I'm near an outlet when they run down (which I never am, of course).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-25-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote