View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #138
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
No, CNET is not saying the numbers in the NYTs article are estimates. And the NYT's clearly says the numbers given by Semenza are from supply chain sources. Not estimates. The NYTs says "these numbers came from sources in the supply chain." The numbers themselves came from the sources. Not from Semenza.
CNET talked to Semenza, they don't need to comment on what NYT said, and they are saying that the numbers that Semenza gave are estimates. And estimates are based on information from sources.

Quote:
Still, Semenza cut his own estimate of Q1 2013 sales of iPhones significantly based on Apple's cuts in screen orders.
No, he lowered his estimates based on lowering the estimates for the sales of last quarter. He doesn't have a better estimate of what the sales were other than lower than 61 million, but near that number, so this uncertainty reflects itself in the estimates for this quarter.

On estimates:
Quote:
Brian Blair, an analyst with Wedge Partners, says order cuts are typical after the holidays. He also noted that Apple uses multiple suppliers for individual parts making across the board cuts difficult to assess.

He estimates that Apple sold 50 million iPhones during the quarter, ahead of average analyst estimates around 47 million.
So Semenza gave an estimate that was 14 million higher than the average. I'm not surprised that he had to make some adjustments.

Quote:
You didn't answer my question regarding the hypothetical news story. Would you immediately dismiss that as well?
I wouldn't dismiss it. I would, as you put it, nitpick it to death. Starting with the fact that one would expect a shortage of devices if the demand would have been underestimated.