View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
First impressions on the GLo

Picked one up at WHSmith just now.
Very light, resolution is fantastic (though don't have a different ereader to compare). Nice design
Connected to wifi without a problem.
Responsiveness is ok - what's expected really. Page turns are slightly slower than I expected, though it is my first ereader and I was using a Nexus 7 to read books prior.
You can change the page turn/full refresh rate from every page to once every 6 pages. I found that on every 6 pages there's barely any ghosting.

PDF's are shown with quite good clarity, though zooming in is a pain (need to enter the menu at the bottom, select zoom then select zoom level) rather than pinch/zooming. Page turn speeds with PDF's are fine.

The screen whiteness is quite good and I don't expect I'll be using the light unless it's dark. The light seems to be a marginally brighter at the top though it's not much of a problem. The light is also a little "cold".

All in all, as long as rival ereaders don't have significantly faster page turns it's a good choice.

Oh, and there's a basic web browser.

I hope the next firmware simplifies pdf zooming and allows the status bar at the bottom with the page number to be customised/removed.

EDIT: Just crashed whilst reading an epub. Had to reset using the little hole at the bottom. Hmmm. May have to sticky tape a paperclip to the back for emergencies...

Last edited by rainio; 10-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote