View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi3ryPh03n1x View Post
Unless I misunderstand how the custom column works, here is the difference I see, (stated in over-simplified terms for clarity). Displaying only author:"Michael Connelly" and clicking the "series" column to sort his entries by series would only show "The Reversal" one time in the Harry Bosch series, and leave a gap in the "Mickey Haller" series. As I see it, there is no way to show that both series are complete without duplicating the eBook or implementing my idea for a ghosted entry so that one eBook shows up for all assigned series.
It sounds like you want one book entry displayed when you sort by author, but multiple books listed when you sort by series - one for each series that the book is assigned to. I doubt that will happen.

You have the same problem with any multiple field, such as multiple authors, multiple tags, etc. If what you want is done for all those fields, too, what do you display for a table sorted first by author, then by series where the book has four authors and three series? Do you list four authors (three ghost authors) and for each of those four then list three series (two ghost series)? Instead of one book you're now displaying twelve books, eleven of which are ghosts. Extending this to the multiple field of tags and sorting on tags would be a nightmare of ghost entries.

I add a second field for any book that's a member of a second series. If I want to know if a second series is "complete," I sort on that extra field. I just don't see any benefit to lots of ghost entries.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote