View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Pie, I was reading a review earlier this week (can't remember if it was about the 350 or 650). The reviewer noted that the Sony had a glossier screen than the Kindle. I wouldn't have thought that the 950 would be any different than the other models. I have now had the chance to compare the 350, 950 & K3 side-by-side. I think I would have to rank them from most to least glossy as 350, K3 and then 950. Interesting! I think the 350 and K3 are very close.
A long look at the e-Ink web site gave me a bit of info, but nothing absolutely conclusive. They refer to the "E INK PEARL IMAGING FILM," which is the layer BELOW the screen's "glass." (I'm saying glass, but it may be plastic.) This means they can put a different glass screen on top of the e-ink film layer and still call the thing "Pearl. It must simply be that Sony and Amazon ordered different glass to go over the e-Ink film layer, and Sony chose something completely different for the 950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten
The K3 has the following fonts
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 65 Medium - 5.00 Kindle beta release
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 66 Medium Italic - 5.00 Kindle beta release
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 67 Kindle Cond Medium - 5.11 Kindle
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 68 Kindle Cond Medium Italic - 5.10 Kindle
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 75 Bold - 5.00 Kindle beta release
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 76 Bold Italic - 5.00 Kindle beta release
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 77 Kindle Cond Bold - 5.11 Kindle
Linotype - PMN Caecilia LT 78 Kindle Cond Bold Italic - 5.10 Kindle...
Thanks for the list!

Given the version numbers, and the "Kindle" in some of the family names, this points to it being an Amazon-specific version. The other possibility is that the Caecelia I had borrowed (I had to promise to delete after a few weeks, which I did), is just an earlier version. But I think the former explanation is more likely, and that Amazon optimized the font for the e-Ink display... or payed Linotype to do it for them exclusively.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote