View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #92
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
nothing against smashwords but we live in the real world here.

don't watch a dvd with a friend, they're stealing it and should buy their own copy. its not licensed for public broadcast. don't cook them a meal that used a recipe you got in a cookbook either, thats stealing the work of the author and the right thing to do is tell them to buy the book and cook it themselves.

"hey man, this metallica cd is awesome!"

"cool. take off your headphones and put it on the stereo so we can both listen."

"sorry dude, thats stealing. this cd is licensed for my use only so you'll have to buy your own or wait until i'm done to listen."

*gets punched*

how far are we willing to go with this? i may come off like a flippant ass but i'm merely trying to follow the line of thought out to its logical conclusion.

theres terms of service and then theres the real world. i dare say 99.99% of folks live in the real world and think that buying a 2nd copy of an easily copyable medium for the person sitting next to them on the couch is idiotic.
Yes, that's exactly it. And somehow they think this methodology will result in more book sales. It's ridiculous. Loaning my buddy a copy of A Game of Thrones is more likely to sell him a GRR Martin book than if everyone has to buy a copy blind just to try it out.

I shouldn't need to buy a 2nd copy of a ebook if I want my wife or my buddy to read it. It's stupid and counter-productive. Word of mouth, loans, and libraries is how people try out new books and new authors.

Publishers are digging their own grave, just like the music industry was doing for so long in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-23-2012 at 07:25 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote