View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Any decent graphic program also has a method of compressing the image that doesn't reduce the dimensions or the bit depth. My favorite program is Paint Shop Pro for instance, and when you save as .jpg, before filling in the save name, click on Options and you have a slider bar to change the amount of compression or an optimization button with more options. There's also some plugins you can add that will do the same, an excellent old one I still have is Smart Saver Pro by Ulead.

Here's an example I snagged off Amazon, both of these images are 24 bit, both are 643x1000 pixels. One is not compressed and is 392KB, the other is compressed and is 95KB. If I really scrutinize the images, I can pick up a few white flecks at the edges of the red lettering. And to me, for the size difference and as often as you look at a cover compared to the book, it's perfectly fine being compressed. I've seen much more drastic reduction in file size though on some images in purchased books. Totally unnecessary and it only serves to bloat the size of the epub.
The second one is the more compressed cover. It's obvious with a quick compare. You can easily see jpeg artifacts. But on an eInk screen, it may not be so obvious.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote