View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
The only methods I've seen to compress images are to:
- reduce the dimensions
- reduce the color bit depth

With Amazon and Apple (B&N ?) having a minimum dimension, that leaves reducing the bit depth. That affects the quality if the image. Is there some other process to compress images I'm missing??
Any decent graphic program also has a method of compressing the image that doesn't reduce the dimensions or the bit depth. My favorite program is Paint Shop Pro for instance, and when you save as .jpg, before filling in the save name, click on Options and you have a slider bar to change the amount of compression or an optimization button with more options. There's also some plugins you can add that will do the same, an excellent old one I still have is Smart Saver Pro by Ulead.

Here's an example I snagged off Amazon, both of these images are 24 bit, both are 643x1000 pixels. One is not compressed and is 392KB, the other is compressed and is 95KB. If I really scrutinize the images, I can pick up a few white flecks at the edges of the red lettering. And to me, for the size difference and as often as you look at a cover compared to the book, it's perfectly fine being compressed. I've seen much more drastic reduction in file size though on some images in purchased books. Totally unnecessary and it only serves to bloat the size of the epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Compression.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	105094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ulead Compression.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	105095  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote