View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #61
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...I had no problems installing Firefox or Thunderbird, two apps which are in direct competition with MS. I use both daily. Maybe those limitations are only on the RT version?

Shari
More specifically, the limitation is with Metro apps. So yes, RT, since that version is all Metro, all the time, and the Metro portion of Win 8. And non-metro-app shortcuts can be put in Metro that will open on the desktop.

Chrome now can be installed to use with Metro. I do love that. If it's the default browser, the Metro interface will open. If not, it opens on the desktop.

There is apparently a legitimate way to sideload Metro apps for Enterprise and Server versions, but I haven't really looked into it. As long as I can install what I want/need to the desktop, I don't care much. And so far, I've been able to with the Win 8 preview. (The only exception was a Media Center add on, apparently due to a .NET change, but that's a different issue. Compatibility, not restriction.)

I would LOVE a Surface Pro. It's the tablet PC I always hoped would come to be. I don't have much use for an iOS, Android or even RT tablet, but a full Win 8 tablet? Yes, please. Can't afford one right now, but someday... In the meantime, my Duo will be getting the $40 Win 8 upgrade on release day, definitely.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote