View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #42
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes, epub is basically a zip file containing a number of different files. If you were writing a DTBook/epub document then one of these files would be the XML source and the other would be a CSS file telling the reader how you would like that XML to be rendered.

I'd hope that the viewer/reader application would be able to replace the built in CSS at the user's command though, otherwise many of the advantages of the separation of semantic and presentation info would be lost. I'd also hope that most viewers would come with some built in CSS files for presenting DTBook XML at various sizes.

Actually there is a cynical side to me that is wondering whether reader manufacturers will support 'DTBook within epub' at all, it's not that unusual for standards to be only partially implemented and the manufacturers may just implement the XHTML part of the spec.

I think it'd be a real shame if that happens. It won't stop me formatting books in DTBook but it'd mean I'd have to run them through a converter before loading them onto a reader.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote