View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@nairbv
The only way you can make a format strictly semantic and simpler than html is by imposing strict semantics and limiting the number of tags, in which case it wont be as powerful as html. look at it this way, html allows you to be both semantic and to control presentation if you want to. Semantic XML will allow you only control of the semantic information, not the presentation. Now generally, that is a good thing, but i feel having the extra flexibility is valuable, but maybe thats because I come from a background of TeX where you use a Turing complete language to do markup.

Also I write conversion tools for ebook formats and I have to say that parsing HTML is no great hardship. People have already written several tools that "tidy" up html until it becomes XML and then you can use any XML parser to do the trick.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote