View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Yes, when the spacecraft fly like airplanes while in space appears in otherwise "realistic" SF it just signals "bad author, bad author, no donut!", and it annoys me. In true Space Opera I expect such things and they don't disturb.

One in the "Bad SF" errors that I found laughable, even as a kid during the first run, is the repeated crisis of the "decaying orbit" in Star Trek/TFG. Here's an otherwise sensible SF structure (space craft that are true spacecraft and not single surface-to-interstellar space vehicles like the steel behemoths often seen in 1950s pulp, ...) where the navigators can't place the craft in a high enough orbit so that the decay rate is measured in decades or centuries instead hours, which would mean they were actually skimming the very high atmosphere.
Yes, that was very weird. Unless, perhaps, they needed a very low orbit for transporters to work? (I know, I'm trying to justify a plot device with hand-waving talk about another plot device.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote