View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
RyeBrye
RyeBrye began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hacking on the PRS-600 - can you run arbitrary code?

Is there a mechanism where I can make the device run arbitrary native compiled code?

I see references to autorun.xml and autorun.js - and I see in the PRS600 service manual it references this file (so presumably any Autorun.xml method that works on previous devices would work on this one)

Can the autorun.xml / js just call xml and javascript files or can I call it and have it execute compiled code?

I'm looking into poking holes in the kernel to root my device and go from there. (Well... when I say "my device" - I actually mean "my wife's device" - I got it for her birthday so tomorrow I'll have to hand it over to her and I'm not sure how much time I will get with it after that).

If someone can point me to info on how to run native code on it, I will see what I can do to help hack these devices. If I can get root access on the device through a kernel exploit, I'm not at all worried about any encryption they might have on the update images since once I dump the firmware of the device I'll be able to easily extract the keys that it uses anyway.

but... the first step is being able to even run any code that might make use of an exploit.
RyeBrye is offline   Reply With Quote