View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
fastboot for win32

UPDATE: The name of this thread has changed to show that it has evolved into a kindle debricking solution that uses a new kindle fastboot for windows tool. This thread started as a search for a solution to the problem of a kindle dropping out of fastboot mode when you change the host PC from windows (for MfgTool) to linux (for fastboot). Using this new tool, you can now stay in windows for both steps, with no risk of your kindle dropping out of fastboot mode.

You can download fastboot for windows (thanks to hostar) here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2000997

Each kindle needs its own set of libusb-win32 device drivers installed, to work with fastboot for windows. There are multiple ways to do this, and multiple versions of libusb drivers for windows. You can read some details about how *I* installed them for my K4 and Touch here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2001621

And you can read step-by-step details about how PoetCop debricked his Kindle Touch using fastboot for windows here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2002101

ORIGINAL FIRST POST:
Spoiler:
There are people who need to move the kindle from a windows host PC that sets fastboot mode with MfgTool, and a different linux host PC to run the linux fastboot program.

The problem is that when the USB port is disconnected from the kindle while in fastboot mode, it immediately drops out of fastboot mode, and sits waiting at a bist> prompt on the serial port. At this point the kindle needs a long power reset to reboot it out of bist mode.

While trying to save "fastboot" to the idme var on mmc from inside a custom u-boot bootloader, rebooting the kindle just will not boot to fastboot mode. Rather than trying to find a way to debug a custom u-boot, I just got the idea to see if the kindle will stay in fastboot mode if you continue to supply power to the USB port while switching host PCs.

This could be done by putting a powered (with external power supply) USB hub between the kindle and the windows host PC before setting fastboot boot, then unplugging the powered hub USB cable from the windows host PC and moving the hub to a linux host PC without removing power from the hub.

I cannot find a powered USB hub right now, so could somebody test this for me and post the results here?

1) plug powered USB hub into power source.
2) plug kindle into USB hub.
3) plug USB hub into windows PC.
3) use MfgTool (with SelectBoot custom profiles) to setthe kindle to fastboot mode.
4) unplug the USB hub from the host PC only.
5) wait 20 seconds.
6) plug the USB hub into any host PC (windows or linux) and see if the kindle is detected as a kindle fastboot device (VID/PID 0x1949/0xd0d0).

--- and finally ---
7) post your results to this thread.

Thanks...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote