Thread: Column Creation
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand. There already is a yes/no option, why another one?
It isn't another Yes/No column.

Several people wanted a sort-of Yes/No column that could have values other than Yes & No, but where Yes & No displayed as the normal check marks. The reason given was that it was easier to visually pick out the checks than the words. Thinking about it, this might be because of the color, so the need might be reduced now that column coloring is available.

In any event, for example you might have a field #read with the meaning
- Yes = everyone has read it
- No = no one is reading it at the moment
- blank = no one has read it
- any other value = who is reading it at the moment
You would see checks or the name of a person. Other examples might be workflow, using Yes for done, No for want to start, blank for waiting for decision, and words for the state of the process. I use them for storing whether or not I want a book on my reader, using Yes for yes (imagine that), not using No, and a set of words for priority when I am looking for books to read (therefore change to Yes to put on my device).
Quote:
Text with fixed values - if used for formats, is every one a separate entry? Some are only in audio, some audio & ebook, some paper & ebook...
If this is your situation, then you shouldn't use fixed values.
Quote:
IF I understand correctly, it behaves like comma separated text with no names, adding values is same, but changing the existing one is difficult.
No. It behaves like text, not comma-separated text. There can be one value per box, just as in text columns.

Every column type arose because enough people asked for it. That doesn't mean that *you* should use all of them. Some might not be appropriate to your task/mental model, some might not make sense to you, some you might understand but seem useless, but one hopes that some will help you solve your problem(s).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote