View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Goodness me, DiapDealer I hope you're not accusing me of shoddy workmanship there!
All our eBooks are validated properly and checked against all Kindle types before being passed to our clients.
90% of the books that are commissioned are straight text, and naturally will easily be supported on all formats without any degredation whatsoever - and yes, Fancy dropcaps and the like ALWAYS degrade gracefully on all devices.
However, some books DO contain fancy formatting, some books aren't run of the mill and contain diagrams, tables etc. There's usually a way to make such things work on the older devices but it wouldn't be commercially viable to hobble the book that will be enjoyed by an overwhealmingly large proportion of the readership.
We as content creators need to be respectful of the existing device owners as they were the early adopters that helped to build the success of the industry - but it is also our duty to responsibly push forwards, to allow our publisher clients to sell books with richer content (not all books are story books, remember) to try to make their titles stand out amongst fierce competition.
Amazon seem to be bravely trying to throw off the shackles of their old, limited format and I applaud them for doing so.
No accusations at all. Just reacting to comments like:

Quote:
tables don't work on them.
But hey, I think we can all move on from those now.
Among others whose tenor/tone certainly sounded like; "just take advantage of the new KF8 features and if it doesn't happen to work on the older devices... oh well."

My apologies if that's not the case. I certainly don't expect anyone to "hobble" the KF8 version of an ebook simply because the older MOBI format won't support a necessary formatting feature that KF8 does allow for. I only expect them to make every effort to "gracefully" downgrade the MOBI version with the tools provided for just such situations. Rather than simply letting the MOBI chips "fall where they may."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-05-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote