View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
no problem. hope it helps some.

the look up by typing in thing that i mentioned....somehow it's not possible to do anymore. i don't know why, unless syncing at one point messed my dictionaries up...but i tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck.

what i previously was able to do was, once i had gone into a book while in japanese interface, chosen the japanese font, etc. i was able to envoke the dictionary by long tapping a word, then choosing dictionary in the menu, then in the top left corner i hit an arrow and it opened up a dictionary that i could type into. since i was in the japanese interface, i could type in japanese. somehow, that set the book as japanese and afterwards, i could type into the japanese dictionary, even when in english interface.

right now, i only get 4 options when trying to type into single language dictionaries. (english, german, italian and spanish), i have previously had dutch and japanese appear there, so why suddenly they disappeared is beyond me.

it may or may not have to do with the fact that even though i have all the dictionaries marked with a check, no matter how many times i sync (or even remove and add back all the dictionaries), it tells me i still have to sync to download 1 dictionary (and doesn't tell me which one).

not sure if any of this info is relevant, as i'm not sure exactly what your end goal is.

i would say that in general at the moment, the japanese dictionary function is lacking. i can look up things much better on my computer or edictionary. my uneducated guess (not from lack of trying to educate myself on this point) is that they are still fine tuning the japanese before releasing this firmware/the glo in japan. i am most definitely hoping that they will soon fix all the anomalies and make it as easy for a japanese (or Japn as foreign language) reader as it is for the other supported languages. but i wouldn't get my hopes up about them including a kanji drawing look up method ....as cool as that would be.

if you have any more questions, let me know, i'll try to answer them, keep in mind that i am new to kobo and actually, this is my first ereader ever! but on the up side, i know some japanese, which some of the best experts on here don't, which is why i'm adding my 2 cents
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote