View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #67
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
maybe this is just me but I think $9.99 for an ebook is an utter rip off. I have never and will never pay $10 for an ebook. Period.

I can buy the actualy physical book for $6 or $7 why in known universe would I pay $10 for what essentially amounts to NO property at all?

You OWN NOTHING with an ebook so the "value" of an ebook is very very low to me (on the order of $1 or less) maybe $2 for an early release or something.

People say wait no its compared to hard back prices. My only reply to that is are you nuts? there is a reason a book costs $6 and a hardback costs $20. thats because ITS A HARD BACK. you are GETTING something significantly more valuable for the $20 over the $6

nice hard cover and binding. Nicer paper thicker paper dust cover overall a far more valuable possession to put on your book case. (note I almost never pay for than $10 even for hard covers)

With an ebook you get EVEN LESS than the $6 book. no paper no cover no nothing. just a digital file you have no ownership rights over.

it should be priced accordingly. Subtract the costs from a regular $6 or $7 book

THAT is what the ebook should cost since THAT is all your getting.

I simply download my ebooks from "other" sources. my conscious is clear. I can say with 100% truthfulness that if I get past page 50 I WILL OWN a physical copy of that book for my bookshelf if its possible to get a physical copy.

If I don't get past page 50 its no different than reading it at the store or library and deciding I don't like it.

That is why I don;t buy devices that require proprietary software and lack NATIVE open file support. its why I bought the sony reader (memory card and native txt and rtf support) and now the kindle DX (usb mass storage spec and native open pdf txt prc mobi support)

Its my way or the highway. retailers and publishers need to be retaught this universal law. its our way or the highway.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote