View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
My dabbling in C++ is usually "read-only" - but there were a number of things with Sigil that I wanted to tweak that I wanted sooner rather than later. I know you have much bigger fish to fry (like spell checking) and some would possibly never get changed so figured I would dabble with doing them myself as an experiment.
Just make a public clone of Sigil and make sure your commits are self-contained (only one bug fix/feature per commit) and I'll be happy to take a look and merge the things I agree with.

I'll respond to these here, but if you want to talk about Sigil development in the future, please send me an email.

Quote:
- Ctrl+H always overwrites the Find text with the current selection, rather than only when a fresh Find dialog is opened
Good, this is one of the things I've been meaning to get to.

Quote:
- Default the Find dropdown to "All Files" rather than "Current File". Drove me mental always changing that (as I had to keep closing the dialog for the previous issue...)
Hm, can't agree here. The dialog default should be an option in the ever-elusive options screen.

Quote:
- F3 keyboard shortcut to Find Next
Yes, that and a Find Previous are on my TODO list.

Quote:
- Change the keyboard shortcuts for code and book view to something accessible with the left hand without having to look at the keyboard or take hand off the mouse like the current ones do
This I can't agree with either for several reasons. First, the "close" shortcuts are IMO too valuable to be spent on View switching actions; there will be other WYSIWYG actions in the future that would benefit more from these.

Secondly, there are many thousands of people who are used to the current shortcuts. Changing them is not an option. I prefer not getting crucified.

Quote:
- Automatically open the CSS file rather than the "first html file" (which usually ends up being the title page which is mostly pointless to have open). 9 times out of 10 I open an epub file to manipulate a style first.
I understand this is useful to you, but it breaks the Law of least astonishment.

Quote:
- Rather than nagging me with a message when I try to find in book view, just switch to code view silently instead.
Again, breaks LLA. Also, there's a fair number of Sigil users who never ever want to see the code.

Quote:
- Menu option/keyboard shortcut to "Close all but this" tab. A context menu on tabs like VS has would be ideal but this option is the one I would use the most anyways.
This would need to be a tab context menu option like in VS, yes.

Quote:
- When renaming files, by default select only the name without the extension like Windows 7/Vista does rather than the whole name.
I tried to do this once, but Qt didn't allow the required low-level of control to implement it. I think this could be done by injecting a completely different "editing delegate" (or whatever it's called in Qt docs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle. The new delegate would have to work on all the platforms.

Quote:
Nice clean well commented code makes it easy for tinkerers like me, thanks dude.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote