View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #108
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Well , if non commercial copying was legal, I'd never buy a single video game, movie, book, tv show or software product ever again. I imagine I'm not alone in that view. Enough people do that and we'll see all the non-commercial entertainment products vanish over time.
And yet, the bottled water industry makes millions selling something that almost everyone has access to for free.

People pay for internet access even in areas with substantial free public wifi centres.

A lot of people are willing to pay for something they can get for free if it's convenient and they think the price is reasonable.

Quote:
Will movie companies still make movies if they can only sell them to cinemas which are struggling?
They made them for a long time when they could only sell them to cinemas. They continued to make them after screaming that VCRs would destroy the movie industry. Noncommercial copying of movies broadcast on TV is *already* legal.

Quote:
The actual value of 50 is arbitrary and could be argued about for some time, but the main point is we should imo get away from life + X.
I agree, but most of the people who argue about copyright seem content with the idea of Life + whatever. I would like to see the public domain be something useful to the current generation's grandchildren... so if you loved a book or song or movie in your childhood, your grandchildren would have free access to it, with no limitations on how they can use it. This 70-to-130-years garbage just means "everything except the mega-cash-cows fades into obsolescence and obscurity before anyone else gets to play with it."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote