View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Ok, I've done a little more testing. I started by modifying my script to convert all images to GIF format. I did not see any appreciable change in the speed the the images were rendered from within the image viewer. The file-size however, was *significantly* larger when using GIF images (obviously). Next I will test whether there is a difference in render speed if the images are not compressed into a zip/cbz archive.

I also tested Calibre. In several regards, Calibre wins outright over both my python script and MangleDX (which essentially do the same thing) Since Calibre converts the images to Mobi Pocket format, there is no render delay at all. It's the same speed as pretty much any other book. The fonts and graphics actually appeared slightly more crisp coming out of Calibre.

My only complaint about Calibre is that the pages don't "fill the screen" quite the same as they do when viewing the image archives. There is a significant amount of border around (I tried playing with all of Calibre's export options to no avail) That being said, the clarity of the text didn't appear to be any worse even though the page was a little smaller in the mobi format.

If anyone knows how to get Calibre 0.6b to force the images to fill the screen completely, let me know. Until then, I'm going to attempt to take the images output by imagemagick and convert them using MobiPocket Creator.

I think, even with the border and the smaller image size, Calibre might be the overall best solution.

Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote