View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
First of all, I am NOT happy with Amazon serving a DMCA on MobileRead. I don't think they had any moral or even legal right to do that. The scripts in question do not remove DRM, they merely make it possible for people who have legally purchased DRMed Mobipocket e-books to read them on their Kindles, thus, in my opinion, increasing the value of, and the market for, both the e-books and the Kindles, and increasing their likelihood of success in the long run.

Kindle doesn't *need* to be the only way to purchase at the Amazon Store; it's (again, in my opinion) one of the best combinations of features and value out there and can stand on its own. Amazon e-books don't *need* to be restricted to e-books; they are (in my opinion) one of the best combinations of selection and value out there and can stand on their own. And further unlocking them from each other would, in my opinion, only increase their success.

Saying that the scripts *could possibly* be used in combination with other scripts to break DRM and should therefor be suppressed, is like saying my nifty new ratcheting wrench set could possibly be used to take mailboxes apart and steal mail. So what? Sure, stealing the mail is a federal offense and taken very seriously (as it should be, in my opinion) but that doesn't mean you should be able to force me to throw my ratcheting wrenches in the garbage; I only use them for legitimate purposes, like repairing my fence and fixing my bicycle.

That said... my Kindle 1 was one of my favorite devices--a combination of features and price that met my needs and made reading e-books (obtained free from Feedbooks and Manybooks and the Baen Free library, or purchased from Baen or Fictionwise or Amazon) much easier and more pleasant. I took it everywhere with me; I literally felt antsy about leaving the house without it.

And the Kindle 2 I just received from MobileRead--I hadn't thought the increased sleekness would matter to me but (hangs head) apparently I am that vain shallow person I thought I wasn't. Plus the joystick really does make it easier to use a lot of the Kindle's features. Give it up? (Cat clutches it to her chest) Umm... I want to support Mobileread and everything, but.... no. No, I'm not going to send it back. I don't like how Amazon is behaving, but I really like the Kindle 2, even though I'd like it *even better* if it had an SD slot and a user replaceable battery (hint, hint :-).
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote