Thread: Kindleless!
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
From Amazon's terms and conditions:

Quote:
Use of Digital Content. Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content will be deemed licensed to you by Amazon under this Agreement unless otherwise expressly provided by Amazon.
So this seems to me like you could keep them but you wouldn't be able to read them until such time as Amazon authorizes other devices or a software reader. They have already promised some phones will be able to read books. It's unspecific at this time.

Technically, as you say, you can strip the DRM and read them on your computer or any other device that can read .mobi or a format you can convert to. However, that's against their terms as well:

Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly or Circumvention. You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Device or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Device or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, including, but not limited to, augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Device or Software.

Currently in my library on Amazon's site I can opt to download to a Kindle or to my computer. I don't know if all download options would go away if I had no Kindle registered. Maybe Lilly could tell us. If I planned to strip the DRM and hold on to the files, I would probably make sure I had them all backed up before, just to be sure.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote