View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I doubt it'll sway a lot of new people to use it as a reader. I used it as a reader before I got my nook simple touch. It was okay. To me it isn't an issue of pixel pitch, it is an issue of there being a backlight and not reflected light. Its just fine, but no where near as nice as my nook simple touch or a paper book for reading, but it was fine in a pinch and fine to reduce my paper library from about 300 books down to around 20 books (before I got my nook touch even).

The extra pixels would be nice for PDFs though, which I still use my ipad 2 for, as wel as apps, games etc.

It would be nice to see decent upscaling on the iPad 3 supposing the screen rumors are true.

I also really hope that not only is at least a much better dual core processor with even better graphics processing unit or nicer quad core with better GPU included in the deal (gotta be one or the other), but also that the base model moves from 16 to 32GB of memory. Especially with all that resolution, HD movies make sense finally. As it is now, I notice only the tiniest difference between upscaled SD and downscalled 720p content. I suspect with 2048 pixels however I'd notice a pretty big difference, even with such a small screen.

Condering most of my 720p H.264 stuff is between 70-150% bigger than the same 480p movies and shows...the extra memory would be nice.

Just doesn't seem like a decent reason any half way spec'd tablet shouldn't start with 32GB of memory considering NAND flash prices now. I mean, seriously, its less than $1 per GB. At most it probably would cost Apple between $6-10 per unit in the bulk they'd be buying it at.

Also, it'd be nice for faster 802.11 wireless performance. The wireless stack right now is a friggen joke. The iPad 2 is worse than the iPad 1, with the iPad 2 weighing in at a maximum of only about 25Mbps and the iPad 1 not a lot faster. It would be nice to at least hit full 20Mhz 802.11n speeds (75Mbps BTW), or at least what the converts to when you take quality of service losses in, distance to router, etc. IE at least 50Mbps on an ideal connection in the real world.

Lastly, faster storage subsystem speeds and more RAM. 1GB would be nice, especially with the larger textures that the display is going to be pushing. Most tablets and phones seem to push only 20-25MB/sec for the memory subsystem. I don't need 300+MB/sec of a decent real SSD, but come on, toggle NAND can do a lot better, and that is the stuff that is only running around $1 a GB right now (or maybe a little more) price to manufacturer. With 8 channels on an SATA 6Gbps SSD and peak read speeds of 550MB/sec on some of them and 300+MB/sec write speeds and 8 channels works out to about 65-70MB/sec read and 35-40MB/sec write speeds for a single Flash chip for decent flash and a good controller with a single channel. You'd think that would mean there is room for some improvement even if all of the tablet's flash storage is contained on a single chip, so only a single channel for the memory controller.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote