View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
How popular is Overdrive?

Looking through my library's inventory I see many ebooks have a waiting list. Even books I wouldnt consider mainstream have no availability.

So, I thought I'd do a back-of-envelope calculation.

70% of all fiction ebooks have waiting list

67% of all ebook subjects have waiting list (fiction and nonfiction)

Audiobooks seem popular too. 49% of all audio have wait times

It appears people are taking advantage of my library's digital content. The library selection committee may know my local community's interests and are choosing their purchases wisely. They know the area's vibe? Or are they not able to purchase enough copies causing long waits?

Are these results repeated in other locations? I calculated the percentage of fiction ebooks with wait times for other libraries.

Philadelphia 52%
New York 26%
British Columbia 41%
Indianapolis 14%

Hard to say whether these libraries do a better job or not. Poor selections or too many copies that waste budget dollars? Local residents not utilizing the service? Too many variables.

It is possible, though, that Overdrive isn't as popular as it may seem.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote