View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #82
Gafle
Gafle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
The law on Digitial Rights Management systems and the breaking thereof is not murky at all. Unless you have a valid exemption: it's illegal (unless of course you lie somewhere where it isn't the local rule of law).

The other thing people are shocked by is that Customs does take this stuff [i]very seriously.]/i] Entering the US with a Kindle that has broken ebooks on it could result in prosecution that puts you at risk for up to $250,000 per ebook they find on your Kindle (and possible jail time). If you think I'm kidding just cross the border into the US and declare to them your Kindle is packed with broken ebooks and see what happens.

Ditto for entry to Canada and the EU (although the dollar amounts vary)
Eh, why the EU? We have nothing like the DMCA over here and despite massive lobbying from the right holders I sincerely doubt that we will ever get it. There are too many scary examples of abuse from the US for even the most corrupt of our politicians to ignore.

So feel free to bring your Kindle with whatever reading materials you prefer on your europe trip.

Gafle is offline   Reply With Quote