View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #15917
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
My mom and I were discussing this not long ago, and she pointed out that (most) schoolkids don't have the life experience to appreciate the themes of these classics. Ethan Frome bored us kids something awful back in high school English class.
"Silas Marner," "Great Expectations," and "A Tale of Two Cities" had to be the three most BORING titles to give a 13 year old-15year old guy. Simply awful, and almost turned me off from reading completely.

Re-reading them as an adult was a whole different kettle of fish. 'A Tale of Two Cities' became one of my all time favorites (Silas Marner still bores me...) As SBGuy's mom said, I simply had no frame of reference in which to place what was going on in those books when I was 13. They didn't introduce me to great literature. They turned me off to it!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote