View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
"storage" area conversion for V3/V3ext

A question to users of OI: do you use "storage" partition on your device, and do you dual-boot with the original firmware?

I'm going to implement some changes which will result in saving applications state when device is reflashed, but I don't want to keep the FAT filesystem a top of bare flash, as V3 designers decided to do, as this leads to quick wear-out of the flash.

In a nutshell, I'd like to create a jffs2 filesystem in place taken by LOGO, USERDATA and STORAGE volumes, which will result in 13MB (454MB for V3ext) filesystem available to store applications state, fonts, books and whatever else. This filesystem won't be touched on subsequent updates.

If you reflash back to original V3 firmware, you'll have to format the exported "disk" using your desktop.

There may be another incompatible change in future, when jekhor makes UBI work with V3, which will result in reverting to VFAT on top of UBI, which will prevent flash wearing and allow exporting FS as a disk though USB, but this depends on the jekhor's free time.