View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi MrWarper,

See my comments below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
Hi all,

questions I've been delaying until I have a non-shared DR1000S I can play with at leisure...
exactly what components of the DR software do we have the sources of? I know we haven't the sources for the UDS (the main document viewer - what does "UDS" stand for?), but that it has some sort of plugin architecture I'd like to know more about, so please correct me where I'm wrong.
A good place to start is with the published code from iRex see here, the SDK contains all the stuff you need for the emulator. Sources contains the used/modified Kernel sources, the used/modified third-party applications and the iRex firmware components.

Quote:
As I have understood everything so far, each file type can be opened in the DR by a standalone application, or an UDS plugin, so UDS can provide a common interface for everything, with the page tabs, tool bar, etc.
I do not have that much experience with the UDS plugins, but, yes the pagetabs (at the bottom) and the toolbar are provided by UDS.
Quote:
I'm not particularly interested in PDFs right now, but I might dab in that at some point to improve it a little. Is the built-in PDF viewer such an UDS plugin? Do we have the sources?
There is no code for the pdf-plugin, mainly because it uses a non-public Adobe library. The plugins only provide the data to show, you can not change the behaviour of UDS.
Quote:
Has anyone had a peek into the image viewer plugin (assuming it's an UDS plugin too)? Would it take very long to adapt it to view multipage images, like TIFF book scans?
The code for the image plug-in is public, see the links above. I have not looked into it very much, so I can not answer your specific question.
Quote:
And what about the HTML viewer? The one in FW v1.7 was too basic, and I understand the new one in 2.0rc3+ is an adapted version of Google's Chrome.
Is it a standalone application?
Do we know what version it is?
Do we have the sources?
Could a more modern version be used instead?
Can "normal" browser extensions be used with it? I have a full-fledged HTML editor written in JavaScript that could turn the DRs into true proof-reading devices.
The erbrowser-application is used to view html (see published sources), it is a WebKit based browser. The e-ink used for the display gives a lot of restrictions for applications, erbrowser was specifically designed to handle these restrictions. So porting another browser (or even a newer version of WebKit) will not be easy, also note that the CPU of the reader is not very powerfull.

There is a lot more information (hidden) somewhere in this forum, so searching/browsing it will also give you a lot of information.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote