View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I feel like the subtitle ("The seven promises of...") took over the book. Yes, I imagine this will be a set-up for the fourth (hopefully final) book, but I think Paolini's editor should have reined him in more.

Then again, the publisher knew this would sell, after the first two books, and they can charge more for a larger book.

About a week after finishing Brisingr, I read Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley. I had sort of put off reading it because I think I was afraid it would be some sort of silly fantasy clone. I should have known better, considering the author. The writing was a bit odd, not nearly as polished as her usual, but the story was good and the characters were excellent. I can't remember if it was marketed as "young adult" or "teen" fiction, rather than mainstream fantasy, but I'm not convinced it's a "kid's" book. There are a lot of references to pop culture from one or more generations ago, for one thing. And though the narrator is a teen, the events and issues the story is dealing with are pretty sophisticated.

I guess I was really impressed with how Eldest and how Paolini made the reader reconsider all the assumptions in Eragon (e.g. the Urgals are just bad). I was hoping for another clever layer of interpretation in Brisingr, and it just wasn't there.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote