View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #1866
thecookiemommma
Enthusiast
thecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the roughthecookiemommma is a jewel in the rough

Device: ZTE Grand Max + / HP Slate 7 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefiriot View Post
Not all reader apps either (well, not all handle them gracefully)-- and if reading with e-ink, graphics might not be the greatest idea, but since I've never used an e-ink device, others will be better able to judge. Still, to hear that FFN are actually considering compilation-- that's amazing! I should note however that there are authors out there who are against having their fics available in one easy download by default from a site, because of plagiarism fears. I know a person who refused to join AO3 precisely because of the availability of downloads, for the above reasons.
I am personally slightly frustrated by this attitude, because with Copy Paste, and GrabMyBooks and several other means available to download and capture the text, it's not a sure sign that someone's not going to be able to access their work in a downloadable format.

I understand the fears. I've had some of my own fic ... not verbatim plagiarized, but poorly riffed (and I was pretty offended by it), but I still want as many readers as possible to read my stuff. But I, too have seen a couple authors who have switched sites like four times to avoid downloadable content.