View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #53
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The problem comes down to the borderline cases. My 505 isn't a computer; my netbook is. But what if I have an iPad? If the rule is "no computers, but ebook readers are okay" whether or not that rule applies to me depends on what app I'm running. Do you really, really want to give the "dopes" in question the authority to look at what you're doing on your iPad in order to decide if it's permitted or not?

The bottom line, again, is rudeness: the people who feel entitled to use someone else's place of business as a free telecommuting facility for hours on end, costing the cafe owners business and goodwill, for the price of a cup of coffee. A civilized person would never dream of it; that's the action of a spoiled brat, the kid who grabs all the cake at the birthday party, and no less of a spoiled brat for all he's grown up and has a suit and a laptop. If everyone spent just half as much time in being thoughtful of others and respectful of others' rights as they do being belligerently defensive of their own, there would be a lot fewer toes being stepped on, and a lot less worry about one's own rights necessary.

P.S. If you tell a cafe owner that you're going to take your business elsewhere because they don't allow you to hog tables during the lunch rush, their response will probably be "thank you".
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote