View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Even if you don't want to convert books, it seems that most ebook stores and publishers outside of Amazon are moving towards the EPUB format. This works very well in Sony's advantage since they have been supporting EPUBs for a while. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure if you tallied up all the books in Sony Connect and other stores selling EPUBs it would probably be a lot more than Amazon's total. Amazon does still have a big advantage in their library size and the fact that all these books are easily available from a single site.

In the long run though, I think a more open format like EPUB will win and Amazon will probably be forced to adopt it too. At least I hope that is the case. Their lack of support for other formats also hurts any chance they have of targeting a global audience and I think that is something that can possibly have negative repercussions at a later point in time when a bulk of non US ebook enthusiasts have already built up brand loyalty towards some other brand.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote