View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
So if my understanding is right, I can stop editing my Calibre Metadata titles to include series information and number? Where does the Kobo read it from? I use the manage series Calibre plugin to make sure my order and series are correct.

I have the driver set up to provide series info. Do I also need to take out all the plugboard settings to avoid duplicating?
Yes you should remove the plugboard that was used to put the series information in the title, and then I think you will need to delete and resend the affected books to get the new title to show up, not sure about that as I didn't use the plugboard scheme myself.

Kobo doesn't read the series metadata from the book as it does with other metadata, I think that is because epub does not have a standard way to specify series information. To get around that the KoboTouch driver in Calibre inserts the series information directly into the Kobo's database, but to do that the book has to already be in the database, which is why it is necessary to reconnect the device a second time.

The difference between this way of sending the series information and the plugboard method that puts it into the title is mainly cosmetic, but I think there is also one functional difference that you might notice when searching on a series name:

I think with the series embedded in the title, typing a few letters of the series name will bring up all the books of that series and perhaps some other books too, and so to get all and only those books in the series you might need to type the whole series name. But with the new method the search wil bring up just the series name and so then you can tap on it rather than needing to keep typing to exclude other books with similar titles.

You might have to try this to see what I mean, but although it is a minor change I think it is quite a useful one if you don't want to have a seperate shelf for each series. The attached photo shows the books listed from a search where I just typed in "jup". If I had the series name in the title I might also get other books listed that had "jup" in the title, but because the series name "Jupiter Novels" was in the database I could just tap on that to get a list that contains all the books in the series and no others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1024.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	99978  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote