View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
High-school ebook library

My daughter's high school has no library. (Insert appropriate noises of horror.) It's a tiny charter school in the middle of Oakland; even if it had funds for a library (it doesn't) or could get donations, it doesn't have space for one. It does, however, have a resource center & computers for the kids to use, and most of the kids have computers at home.

I want to make it a library of ebooks. (Legal, legit ebooks; no shady stuff.) I want something other than "here is the entire collection of English-language books from Gutenberg," because the kids aren't going to use that any more from a disc than they do now, which is to say, not at all.

I'm looking for suggestions & recommendations for this. Ebooks, software (Calibre? Stanza? Firefox-and-EPUBreader, loaded portably so kids can copy-paste the whole set to take home?), other ideas.

It's an inner-city Oakland school; interest in DWEM authors is low. Willing to contact authors & publishers to seek permission for ebook use; not willing to bother with DRM... I'm limiting this to "kids can freely share, copy, distribute these ebooks to their friends & family."

While I'm willing to take suggestions for academic resources (I know there's free textbooks in various places online), I'm more interested in collecting books the kids will (or might) read on their own, or could reasonably be assigned as classroom reading. (So, not looking for titles like "Biology for 10th graders." Except maybe to point out to the school that they exist.) Especially looking for good nonfic (biography, histories, essays) 'cos I know I'll have no trouble rounding up swarms of fiction; I just have to pare that down to stuff that's teen-appropriate.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote