Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I'll certainly give it a try tonight (topping off with my computer). Anyone else notice, either with a working nook, or else with one that works with a temporary fix, that the battery gauge still seems very innaccurate and/or temperature sensitive?

As I noted above, it was swining wildly. Well I just checked it and it went from 91% first thing in to work this morning up to 94%. I wonder if some of it is still the device calibrating its battery remaining gauge.

I know a potential vast difference in hardware and/or hardware quality, but my iPad 2 seems to have no issues figuring out how much battery it has left. The most swing I'll see is if I plug it in to charge it, sometimes it'll jump 1 or 2% within a few seconds of having plugged it in. I haven't done any temperature extremes, but battery life doesn't change if the ambient temperature changes 10-20F at any rate and drain rate seems pretty consistent as well. Only "issue" is it tends to hang at 100% for a little longer than it does at other battery percentages. I tend to get about 45 minutes of video with 30% screen brightness before the battery gauge will drop or about 20 minute of browsing or game playing. After that it drops about 6-9% an hour depending on what I am doing (video and reading the least, gaming and web browing the most).

Just seems odd that BN couldn't figure out a good algorithm or voltage monitor to accurately gauge battery charge status.

As a final (for now, I think) note, as I mentioned earlier, I am going to be happy enough if I can get the battery to last a full week with at least an hour of reading a day between charges, but really I'd like 2+ weeks at an hour a day. I can live with needing to top it off either with the wall wart or even computer if that is what it takes to get the battery to last. As mentioned, annoying, but if the battery lasts a long time after that, its not like I have to do it frequently. I like the nook enough otherwise to keep it if I can scrape that bare amount of battery charge. It'll deffinitely leave me wondering if I want to get a future BN ereader product without doing some heavy research in the first few months after release on battery drain issues with a new one.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote